P&P No: 6.1
Sensitive Expenditure Policy Including Legal Advice and Insurance Processes
DRAFT – Open for Consultation till 10th December, 2018
Feedback can be sent to email@example.com
Expenditure Related to Travel Away
Travel expenditure incurred by Arahunga must clearly be linked to its business or furthering its interests.
Arahunga must obtain an acceptable benefit from the travel when considered against the cost. In general expenses are reimbursed on an actual and reasonable basis and it is expected that staff members that are required to travel on Arahunga related business do not suffer any negative financial effect.
- Arahunga will fund one up to ten minute phone call per day to family/whanau using a pay per use phone when the staff member does not have an Arahunga phone. Where the staff member has been issued with an Arahunga phone ten minutes is the permissible length of cost incurring use per day for phone calls to family/whanau. Only where the Arahunga phone does not incur usage charges, or in an emergency situation, may this time be extended.
- Arahunga will not meet expenses incurred on behalf of a non-Arahunga employed spouse or travelling companion except in the unlikely event that this is a requirement of the business being conducted. In the event of non-Arahunga employed person travelling with an employee, a reconciliation of expenses should clearly demonstrate that Arahunga did in no way incur additional expenditure. Where simultaneous booking requires the use of the Arahunga credit card being used to make initial payment this payment should be made in the presence of a witness, with a signed statement made out that effect, and the subsequent invoicing by Arahunga, and repayment by the person involved, conducted as soon as practicably possible and this also should be recorded in the presence of a witness with a signed statement made out to that effect.
Processes for Making Travel Arrangements
The Executive Team members, led by the Principal, have delegated authority for the approval of all travel.
All booking for international and domestic travel is to be conducted through Arahunga’s normal purchase procedures. Arahunga credit cards should be used wherever possible to avoid large reimbursements and for tracking and auditing purposes. This includes the booking of accommodation, flights and rental cars.
Expenditure Related to Travel within New Zealand
Travel must relate to Arahunga’s business or its interests.
All domestic air travel is to be economy class.
Flights must be by the most direct route unless scheduling, or cast saving, dictates otherwise, however, staff members will not be expected to take onerous diversions from the trip in order to simply save money. There will be thought given to the wellbeing of the traveller in the booking of the travel.
Expenditure Related to International Travel
- International travel will be uncommon and will normally be reserved for members of the Executive Team conducting school business.
Travel must relate to Arahunga’s business or its interests.
Any international travel must be authorised by the BoT before it is commenced.
At the end of the trip overseas, the approved traveller must prepare an enquiry based presentation of the trip overview, their learnings from the trip and the specific outcomes or benefits to Arahunga and its students.
Except where the flight time exceeds 4 hours, all international air travel is to be economy class, unless there is an extenuation circumstance which is approved by the BoT.
For the wellbeing of Arahunga employees business class travel may be approved for travel more than 4 continuous hours in duration.
If a staff member has a travel time in excess of 20 hours and without a stopover of at least 48 hours, a paid rest period of 24 hours before commencing work is mandatory.
Staff must travel by the most direct route unless scheduling, or cost saving, dictates otherwise, however, staff members will not be expected to take onerous diversions from the trip in order to simply save money. There will be thought given to the wellbeing of the traveller in the booking of the travel.
Expenditure Related to Accommodation
Staff should opt for accommodation of a good, reliable and comfortable standard without being excessive.
- If there is a preferred accommodation by Arahunga BoT and Management this will be stated here for transparency sake: Novotel.
Staff members who stay with private contacts will not be reimbursed by Arahunga for accommodation.
Expenditure Related to Vehicle Use, Hire or Reimbursement
When using rental cars, staff should opt for a good, reliable and comfortable standard, appropriate to the trip terrain, without being excessive.
- Private use of vehicles will only be reimbursed where an Executive team member has approved the reimburse in writing prior to it occurring.
Where use of private vehicles has been approved prior to the travel occurring reimbursement will be at the rate specified by the appropriate collective agreement.
If taxis are to be used, this also should be approved in advance, then staff should pay for the taxis out of their own pocket, obtain a receipt and seek reimbursement through an expense claim – except where the traveller is a holder of an Arahunga credit card in which case use of the school credit card is preferred where possible for tracking and auditing purposes.
Meals and Refreshments on Arahunga Business
Arahunga provides for all meals and refreshments when on Arahunga business, including hosting non-Arahunga persons when the hosting is in the business and interests of Arahunga or is expected in relation to cultural norms or tikanga. For non-credit card holders this will be through the reimbursement process. Credit card holders are expected to use the Arahunga credit card wherever possible for tracking and auditing purposes.
- The maximum alcoholic beverages Arahunga will purchase for an individual person is two drinks.
Reimbursement of Expenses
The reimbursement for business related expenses is on the basis of actual and reasonable costs. Actual and reasonable expenditure is defined as “the actual cost incurred in the particular circumstance, provided that it is a reasonable minimum charge”.
- All receipts must be retained and attached to reimbursement claims. No reimbursements will be given without receipts. In extenuating circumstances items less than $50 may be reimbursed with proof from personal bank statement line items.
Familial and Business Conflicts of Interests
- No family member will be awarded either work related renumeration, or business related renumeration, by the related staff member, or BoT member, of Arahunga.
- No business partner, or business in which Arahunga staff member or BoT member has an interest, will be awarded work related renumeration, or business related renumeration, by the related staff member, or BoT member, of Arahunga.
- All potential conflicts of interest in relation to the above will be handled by the Executive Team, or Board of Trustees where appropriate, without the person to whom the conflict of interest relates.
- Where the conflict of interest makes it unclear who is able to handle the matter without prejudice NZSTA advice will be sought by either the Executive Officer, the Principal or the Chairperson.
- All known potential conflicts of interest will be listed in a register kept at the Arahunga office and individual persons will make efforts to keep the Arahunga office informed of necessary changes to this based on their personal situations.
Working with Arahunga’s Legal Advisors
- Arahunga’s primary legal advisors will be listed here: New Zealand School Trustees Association (NZSTA)
- The primary people who will contact NZSTA will be listed here: Principal, Executive Officer
- The secondary people who may need to contact NZSTA under specific situations will be listed here: Chairperson of the Board of Trustees, Regional Manager (when acting for the Principal)
- The nominated legal advice named above will be contacted as soon as possible when legal matters arise, especially those likely to impinge on the good name, smooth running, and future of the organisation.
- Arahunga’s insurance broker will be named here: Crombie Lockwood
- Arahunga’s insurance broker will be contacted immediately whenever the organisation legal advice advises of this action.
- In order to keep Arahunga’s insurance in place the instructions of Arahunga’s legal advice named above must be followed closely.